Living a life with food restrictions has been on of my greatest challenges, but it has also been great fun. It has required not only stepping outside the box, but sometimes ripping that box to pieces. I have learned to try things that just seem impossible, because they usually work — like flax seed “eggs” and chickpea brownies.
Major life changes, especially for health reasons can be overwhelming. It’s not unusual to get stuck, afraid to move, feeling like food has suddenly become the enemy. Bob and I spent the first 6 months of gluten free life eating a lot of stir fry. We still love stir fry but I have become more adventurous in experimenting with new recipes.
Maybe your kitchen challenge isn’t related to allergies or other medical conditions. Maybe you would just like to get your kids to eat more veggies. This is a great reason to get creative in the kitchen. Play with your food and have fun!
So, do I have a recipe? This recipe is dairy free and naturally gluten free. Adjusting to gluten free was easier for me than dairy free. I do love my cheese and ice cream. We are still working on cheese, but I gone way beyond plain “vanilla” in creating my own dairy free, fruit based ice cream. Bob calls it fruit cream. This is one of my favorites
- 2 cups frozen mashed bananas
- ½ cup coconut milk beverage (in the carton)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup finely grated carrots (about 1 small)
- ¼ cup crushed pineapple (drained)
- ⅛ cup finely chopped walnuts
- Add bananas and coconut milk to blender container of a high-speed blender such as a Ninja or a Vita Mix. Pulse a few times then process on high until ingredients are well blended and look like ice cream. If your bananas are frozen very hard, you may have to stop a few times and scrape them down.
- Remove blade and stir in remaining ingredients. You may pour the ice cream into a bowl to do this if desired.
- The ice cream is now the consistency of soft serve. I suggest putting it in the freezer for a couple of hours to allow the flavors to blend.
Want more recipes like this one? Frozen Fun: 25 Dairy and Dairy Free Ice Cream Recipes is available at the Espirational Bookshelf.
A link to this blog post was added to: