Since tomorrow is Valentine’s Day I decided to repost an oldie but goodie.
Genie’s Note: A few of my readers may not know that before I was Espirational I was Gluten-Free and Loving It (on another blogging platform). That blog is long closed, but I am still loving the gluten-free life. So for Valentines Day I decided to do something I haven’t done for a while and share one of my gluten-free recipes, Chocolate Sundae on a Raft. Enjoy!
First the Raft….
Chocolate Waffles (GF with DF and EF options)
2 cups gluten-free flour blend of your choice
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup cocoa powder (I use Hershey’s Special Dark)
1/4 cup agave nectar (or 1/2 cup sugar)
1/3 cup oil
3 Tablespoons flaxseed meal mixed with 9 Tablespoons hot water (or 3 eggs)
3/4 cup to 1 cup almond milk (or other milk or substitute)
fresh or frozen raspberries or strawberries for garnish
1. Combine flaxseed meal and water. Allow to sit until thick.
2. In a large bowl mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and cocoa.
3. Add agave nectar, oil, flax seed meal and water mixture and 3/4 cup almond milk. Stir until ingredients are blended. Add the remaining 1/4 cup milk a little at a time if mixture is too thick.
4. Cook according to instructions with waffle iron.
Dark Chocolate Sauce
1/2 cup cocoa powder (I use Hershey’s Special Dark)
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. agave nectar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat.
2. Reduce heat and simmer 2-3 minutes until sauce coats a spoon. Be sure to stir the sauce so it doesn’t burn on the bottom of the pan.
3. Allow sauce to cool and pour into a squeeze bottle. (I reuse my agave bottles.)
To Assemble the Sundae:
1. Drizzle chocolate sauce on the plate, extending beyond where the waffle will be. This is just to make it look pretty.
2. Place waffle on top of sauce.
3. Top with a scoop of your favorite regular or non-dairy ice cream, Greek yogurt, whipped cream, whipped cream cheese, whatever strikes your fancy.
4. Garnish with fresh or frozen raspberries or sliced strawberries and a drizzle of chocolate syrup.