It is important that we teach our children that it is our responsibility to care for the earth. I don’t think you can start too young with this. Keep it positive, and show not only by words but by example ways that we can help the planet. This is not something we can leave to the schools, we must teach these things at home. The following are links to activities that you may find helpful.
When most people think of birthdays they think of cake. And who doesn’t love cake? When the cake becomes a problem celebrating doesn’t have to end These are a few of my favorite ways to celebrate without food.
* Center the celebration around an activity rather than food. Swimming, skating or a craft party for children, a play or concert for aduls.
* Make a donation to a cause to benefit children in the amount of your age.
* Organize a card shower for the birthday girl/boy instead of a party. Who doesn’t love cards?
* If you are planning a party be sure the celebration is meaningful and fun for the person with the birthday.
* If you find yourself alone on your birthday celebrate anyway. Invite a friend co-worker or neighbor to join you.
* Do something nice for your mother or in her memory if she has passed. After all you wouldn’t be here without her.