These healthy little gluten free, low fat muffins will satisfy a sweet tooth while also providing a healthy dose of fiber and protein.
1 T. flax seed meal plus 3 T. hot water (or 1 egg)
¾ c. milk (I use almond milk)
½ c. unsweetened applesauce
1/3 c. agave nectar ( or 2/3 c. sugar)
1 cup shredded carrots
1 c. raisins
½ c. chopped walnuts (optional)
1 c. buckwheat flour
1 c. sorghum flour
1 T. baking powder
1 t. cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine flax seed and hot water. Mix well and let stand for 20 minutes. The mixture should reach the consistency of egg whites.
3. Combine milk, applesauce. Flax seed/water mixture and agave nectar in large bowl.
4. Add carrots, raisins and walnuts. Stir well.
5. Stir in flours, baking powder and cinnamon.
6. Stir just until all ingredients are combined. Do not over mix.
7. Spoon mixture into the cups of a mini-muffin pan. The cups will be full.
8. Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes or until done.
9. Remove from oven. Cool.
Makes 24 mini muffins.
Rogene Robbins is the author of The Gluten Free Good Life and other books available at Espirational Books and Amazon.com’s Kindle Store. Please visit her My Gluten Free Life Page to get better acquainted with her.
This recipe is linked to: