One important aspect of following a spiritual path is being of service to our world and our fellow travelers through life. Many times when we think of service we think of large, organized events and much good can be done through some of these events.
But I also want us to look at the opportunities to be of service that are all around us everyday.
- Open a door for someone or hold the door for the person behind you.
- Help someone who is not tech savvy use a computer.
- Reach a jar or box on the top or bottom grocery store shelf for someone with a disability who cannot reach or bend. Those of us who are just short appreciate this as well.
- Listen to someone who just wants or needs to talk.
- Walk the dog of a sick friend.
- Take a meal to a sick friend.
- Send cards for any or no occasion. Send them to your friends and family or find an organization that sends cards to sick children or military personnel.
- Smile and say hello to people. If you know the person or they are wearing a name tag address them by name.
- If you don’t know you neighbors on both sides of you, introduce yourself. If you have elderly neighbors check in from time to time, especially if you haven’t seen them for awhile.
- Help those in need as you become aware of individual needs in a way that you can. It may not always involve money. Maybe someone needs a ride, or help finding a job or even just directions when they are driving lost.
Living in an area that is a popular retirement location there are opportunities for service all around. The list above came from my personal experiences. These are the little things we often just do without even thinking about it. There’s no need to have a meeting, form a committee, take a selfie doing the good deed or post it on social media. Just help. Help who you can, when you can, in whatever way you can.
Looking for a way to change the world? Start noticing and acting on those little opportunities to be of service. Spread the love and light of God around, even in small ways. We all need it right now.
Anyone have anything to add to the list?