“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” – Rumi
“Each time a person passes by you and you say ‘hello’, imagine that person turning into a candle. The more positivity, love and light you reflect, the more light is mirrored your way. Sharing beautiful hellos is the quickest way to earn spiritual brownie points. You should start seeing hellos as small declarations of faith. Every time you say hello to a stranger, your heart acknowledges over and over again that we are all family.”
― Suzy Kassem,
“Love is a spark of light.”
― Lailah Gifty Akita,
One important aspect of following a spiritual path is being of service to our world and our fellow travelers through life. Many times when we think of service we think of large, organized events and much good can be done through some of these events.
But I also want us to look at the opportunities to be of service that are all around us everyday.
- Open a door for someone or hold the door for the person behind you.
- Help someone who is not tech savvy use a computer.
- Reach a jar or box on the top or bottom grocery store shelf for someone with a disability who cannot reach or bend. Those of us who are just short appreciate this as well.
- Listen to someone who just wants or needs to talk.
- Walk the dog of a sick friend.
- Take a meal to a sick friend.
- Send cards for any or no occasion. Send them to your friends and family or find an organization that sends cards to sick children or military personnel.
- Smile and say hello to people. If you know the person or they are wearing a name tag address them by name.
- If you don’t know you neighbors on both sides of you, introduce yourself. If you have elderly neighbors check in from time to time, especially if you haven’t seen them for awhile.
- Help those in need as you become aware of individual needs in a way that you can. It may not always involve money. Maybe someone needs a ride, or help finding a job or even just directions when they are driving lost.
Living in an area that is a popular retirement location there are opportunities for service all around. The list above came from my personal experiences. These are the little things we often just do without even thinking about it. There’s no need to have a meeting, form a committee, take a selfie doing the good deed or post it on social media. Just help. Help who you can, when you can, in whatever way you can.
Looking for a way to change the world? Start noticing and acting on those little opportunities to be of service. Spread the love and light of God around, even in small ways. We all need it right now.
Anyone have anything to add to the list?
“Love works in miracles every day: such as weakening the stong, and stretching the weak; making fools of the wise, and wine men of fools; faouring the passions, destroying the reason, and in a word, turning everything topsy-turvy.” — Margaret of Valois
“Your life is a sacred journey. It is about change, growth, discovery, movement, transformation, continuously expanding your vision of what is possible, stretching your soul, learning to see clearly and deeply, listening to your intuition, taking courageous challenges at every step along the way. You are on the path… exactly where you are meant to be right now… And from here, you can only go forward, shaping your life story into a magnificent tale of triumph, of healing, of courage, of beauty, of wisdom, of power, of dignity, and of love.” ~ by Caroline Adams
“Wisdom is knowing we are all One. Love is what it feels like and Compassion is what it acts like.” ~ Ethan Walker III