Every year around this time I go through the autumn tradition I call killing the fatted pumpkin. This is when I cook wonderful fresh pie pumpkins and freeze the puree for the rest of the year.
Cooking fresh pumpkin is easy:
1. Choose a nice orange pie pumpkin.
2. Cut pumpkin in half.
3. Scoop out seeds.
4. Place cut side up or down (either works) in a baking dish with about 1/2 – 1 inch of water.
5. Cover with foil and bake 1 hr. at 350 degrees.
6. Remove from oven. When cool enough to handle scoop out cooked pumpkin. Mash pumpkin or if very soft just give it a good stir.
7. Prepare 1 and 2 cup containers of pumpkin for freezer.
8. Freeze and enjoy homemade pumpkin goodies all year.
This recipe is part of the Sugar and Spice Link Party.