Ever had a day where you started out grouchy and out of sorts and things just went downhill from there? The kind of day where you wished you could push the reset button and start over? Well you might not be able to turn back the clock, but there are a few things you can do to help turn a “bad day” around.
- Stop and ask what is going on here? Did you get enough sleep? Are you worried about anything? Do a quick body scan. Any aches or pains anywhere? Look outside. Is it dark and dreary, rainy or stormy out? Is there a high pressure system stalled out over where you live?
- If you discover something you can do something about, do so. Are you someone who has to take a shower to be able to wake up fully? Will a good full body stretch help those achy joints? Do you need a good breakfast to start the day right?
- If there is nothing you can do to change the circumstances remember, you can always change your mind. Begin with a positive affirmation such as “today is a good day” and repeat throughout the day.
- Sometimes you just have to stop and actually push the mental “reset button.” Taking time to meditate is one way to do this.
- If all else fails, take a nap. Don’t laugh. This does work, but I realize not everyone can take time to do this.
Remember awareness is the key to understanding. The earlier you recognize that you just aren’t yourself, the more likely you are to turn things around.
How do you push the reset button on a bad day?