Recently Bob and I were listening to a very gifted, educated and highly regarded “New Thought” teacher. He was talking about how to not only find oneness with the Divine but also how to serve others from that place. He was doing this to promote a course he was going to give but the talk was not just promotional in nature.
After listening for about 10 minutes my mind began to wander. The speaker was giving a very academic coverage of his topic which was frankly a bit boring. Then I felt a sadness come over me because I am sure there were people who are truly and perhaps desperately seeking listening to this.
Bob and I talked about this for a while. Then I admitted the reason I don’t talk about my experiences of union with the Divine is that I simply can’t. There are no words to explain those experiences.
So how do we explain the unexplainable? We don’t. We can’t. There are certain things in this life that just must be experienced.
So how do we experience that sense of union with God? I can’t really tell you. I can however give you a few suggestions.
1. Be open to the experience. Expect it or at least believe it is possible.
2. Learn to be still. Sit and listen. This is the way into the silence where God waits.
3. Don’t carry a lot of expectations for what you will experience into this. This is a very personal experience. Yours will be unique and not like anyone else’s.
4. Teachers can help guide us, but they cannot offer a step by step, follow the arrows process for spiritual enlightenment.
5. Don’t get caught up in external “trappings.” Words, ritual and theology fall away when you experience the very real and personal presence of God.
6. Finally, just start on the path. If you don’t know where the path is, then start looking for it. Scripture tells us, “And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.” — Jeremiah 29:13 The Bible King James Version via Bible Gateway
The personal experience of the presence of God is available to all. There are no educational or financial requirements. The is not even a formal initiation rite to go through. Breathe, believe and trust. God is waiting.