Let’s face it — many of us live a sedentary lifestyle. Much of our days are spent sitting — at work, in front of various types of screens, even driving. I think that we move is more important than how, so choose something you enjoy, or have always wanted to do. What is important is that it must be something you will actually do and keep doing. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
- Walk – take a nature walk, walk to work, take the stairs instead of the elevator. Even try parking at the edge of parking lots and walking to the building.
- Get a weighted Hula Hoop and learn how to get it moving.
- Dance – Whether ballroom, hip hop, modern dance, square dancing, ballet or even belly dancing, taking a dance class will get you moving. It can also be a lot of fun.
- Take up a sport you’ve always wanted to try or get back into something you used to enjoy.
- Practice yoga.
- Jump rope.
- Go to the gym. Whether you’re into weight training, cardio or classes you will find something here. Try to keep in mind that you are working out for your own health and fitness, not to compete with others.
- Train for and participate in a charity run or walk.
- Ride a bike. Consider riding a bike instead of driving.
- Jump rope. Grab a few friends and try Double Dutch.
So get up off that couch and get moving! Your body will thank you for it.