If you garden you may be finding yourself overrun with a bounty of zucchini. What do you do with it?
1. Don’t forget those in need. Make up a fresh produce basket with a variety of garden items for a family in need.
2. Freeze for later. I like to package sliced or grated in 1 and 2 cup amounts in freezer bags. You might be sick of zucchini now, but in December …
3. Zucchini and Tomatoes. Cook sliced zucchini with diced fresh tomatoes and a little sliced or chopped onion.
4. Zucchini Boats Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Fill with your favorite meat, veggie or grain filling or sauce. Bake at 350 degrees until the squash can be easily pierced.
5. Bread or Cake Of course this is the favorite of many people.
6. Meatloaf extender. I like to use grated veggies in my meatloaf instead of gluten free bread, crackers or oatmeal.
7. Grilled Zucchini Slice your veggies and brush with a little olive oil then sprinkle with your favorite seasonings. Place them directly on the grill grate or use a special grill pan.
8. Veggie Fajitas Zucchini slices, green, red and yellow peppers and onions make a nice fajita filling.
9. Pickles Follow your favorite pickle recipe substituting sliced zucchini for the cucumbers.
10. Fried Zucchini. I grew up on fried zucchini. This may be made gluten free by changing your breading mixture. I also spray mine with oil and bake instead of frying.
Don’t let that zucchini go to waste! Use these ideas to make the most of your garden’s bounty.