Who doesn’t love pumpkin pie? I know I do, but I also enjoy savory pumpkin dishes, like my Pumpkin Quinoa Pilaf with Bacon.
Pumpkin Quinoa Pilaf with Bacon
6 strips turkey bacon diced check the label for gf turkey bacon — I use Jennie-O
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
2 cups pumpkin puree
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon lemon pepper
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Brown turkey bacon.
2. Remove bacon from skillet and drain on paper towels. Reserve for later.
3. Add 1 Tablespoon oil to skillet. Add quinoa and cook, stirring until lightly browned.
4. Add water and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes or until just a little liquid is left on the quinoa.
6. Add pumpkin, nutmeg, pepper and cinnamon.
7. Reserving 1 Tablespoon of bacon for garnish add rest of bacon to quinoa. Stir.
8. Return pan to stove, cover and allow remaining liquid to be absorbed.
9. Pour pilaf into serving dish and garnish with remaining bacon.
Like this recipe? Find more of my holiday recipes in Have Yourself a Healthy Little Holiday available at Espirational Books.
Sharing This Post At:
Thanksgiving Recipes: Gluten Free Recipe Fix
5 thoughts on “A Savory Pumpkin Side Dish”
This sounds delicious! Such a unique take on a pumpkin side dish! Love the addition of quinoa!
This sounds really good, and it’s a nice change from the sweet pumpkin recipes. I add cinnamon to just about everything! 🙂
What a great idea to combine quinoa and pumpkin! And that touch of cinnamon–yum!
Thank you! I love cinnamon and often use it in savory dishes. It adds just that special little touch.
Mmmm!!! I love this time of year, so cozy. This sounds delicious! 😉