This smoothie with a mild flavor of cantaloupe and strawberries makes a good breakfast. So, how healthy is this smoothie? As an orange fruit, cantaloupe is high in beta carotene. [Source: The World’s Healthiest Foods www.whfoods.com] Strawberries are high in antioxidants and there is current research looking into possible anti-inflammatory properties. [Source: healthfood-guide.com]
- 2 cups cubed cantaloupe
- Juice of 1 orange plus water to make 1 cup
- 9 fresh or frozen strawberries (if you use frozen you will need less ice. )
- Ice cubes as needed
1. Combine cantaloupe and juice/water mixture in blender.
2. Pulse a few times then blend on high until cantaloupe is liquefied.
3. Add strawberries a few at a time. Continue to blend until strawberries are chopped very finely.
4. Add ice cubes as needed, pulsing then blending on high until your smoothie is the desired thickness.
This recipe is part of a summer series on smoothies. Enter “smoothies” in the search box at the top of the right column to find the others.
Rogene Robbins is the author of Frozen Fun: 25 Dairy and Dairy Free Ice Cream Recipes available in the Amazon.com Kindle Store