This dairy free smoothie gets its creamy texture from frozen bananas. If your fruit is not frozen, you will need to add ice cubes to your smoothie. This will make it a little icy, but it does work. But how healthy is this smoothie? Blueberries are very high in antioxidants and the good news is that blueberries can be frozen without damaging the antioxidants. Cranberry Juice is often used to prevent urinary tract infections. Watch the sugar content of your juice though. Bananas are high in potassium and are fat and cholesterol free. They are also a good source of energy due to being high in carbohydrates. [Source: The World’s Healthiest Foods www.whfoods.com].
- 1 cup cranberry raspberry juice (I use Old Orchard Cranberry Naturals with stevia)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup frozen mashed bananasInstructions
- 1. Combine all ingredients in blender container.
- 2. Pulse blender a few times to start to break up the fruit.
- 3. Turn blender on high and process until your smoothie is thick and creamy.
- Serves 2
This recipe is part of a summer series on smoothies. Enter “smoothies” in the search box at the top of the right column to find the others.
Rogene Robbins is the author of Frozen Fun: 25 Dairy and Dairy Free Ice Cream Recipes available in the Amazon.com Kindle Store