In celebration of More Herbs, Less Salt Day let’s talk ways to add flavor without adding a lot of sugar, fat or salt.
* Garlic and onion are obvious. Cook first to make flavor pop.
* Vinegar adds a nice acidic bite. Many varieties are available.
* Liquid smoke replaces pork as seasoning.
* If you have limited knowledge of herbs and spices find a good spice chart.
* Citrus juice and zest add just a little tartness.
* Don’t forget salt free seasoning blends.
* Remember mustard comes in powdered or prepared forms.
* Marinades are easy to make. They tenderize as well as adding flavor.
How do you add flavor without adding the “bad stuff”?